10 Commandments For Low Budget Independent Filmmakers

Making a movie needn't be difficult. It is hard work however, especially if your budget has been crunched to next to nothing.

Can you still make movies with hardly any cash?

Of course you can, bit it's a whole lot easier if you observe some basic simple rules, which I call, with a bit of arrogance, the 10 Commandments of Low Budget Independent Film

Easy Riding

Do you know how director Dennis Hopper picked the music for the crazily successful independent film Easy Rider in 1969? He chose some his favorite rock songs from the radio while editing the movie in 1968.

Learn more about the classic movie and its soundtrack.

10 Things Filmmakers Use Every Day

If you are serious about filmmaking, then there are a few basic pieces of hardware and software that you need every single day.

The beauty of filmmaking today is that these elements can be put together relatively inexpensively, and with a small capital investment of money, and a great deal of time and passion, you could be on the road to a filmmaking career in no time flat.


Check out the 10 Things A Filmmaker Needs Every Day

Music and Movies

by Sarah Romeo

Nothing sets the mood quite like music. Your film’s soundtrack can make or break the tone of your story, but acquiring the actual songs can be a daunting task. Read on for the ‘need to know’ in buying your movie’s tunes!

What Licences Do I Need?

If you have some tracks in mind for your film, the first step is to contact the music’s publisher—most singers and songwriters have little control over their own music, but their publishers will own almost all the rights. The best way to find out a publisher’s information is to look up the song you want on a site like Amazon, find the record label name, and find the appropriate contact information on the record label’s website.

Once in talks with the publisher, you’ll find out the different licenses you need to acquire. These licenses have different names depending on who you’re dealing with and where you’re making the deal.

Purchasing music rights in the UK or the US, you’ll usually need two licenses:

1) Publishing License - This one is from the publishers, or whoever holds the copyright to a pre-recorded composition. It gives you the right to synchronize a piece of music with your visual image. Some companies also refer to this is as a Synchronization License.

2) Recording License - by the person or persons who OWNS THE RECORDING. In many cases, actually frequently, this is a record label or recording major such as Sony, Warners, Universal, EMI, etc. To approach the Composer would be quite wrong unless the recording was an indy that the Composer had made themselves. However, for most commercially available music, it is a record label or recording company major that you are dealing with.

Some companies also refer to this as a Master Use License.